Sustainability in Design
Challenges and Opportunities for Design Research, Education and Practice in the XXI Century.
LeNS Conference, Bangalore, 29th September to 1st October 2010
The Sustainability in Design: Now! Conference is a platform for sharing the latest knowledge and experiences in product, service and system design, to promote sustainable systems thinking in design education, research and practice communities. The conference approach is to look at various stakeholders in this arena - designers, design educators and design researchers - as a unique learning community. The objective is the creation of a new ethos, within such a community, enabling all possible synergies and fruitful processes of knowledge and know-how osmosis and cross-fertilisation.
This conference is promoted and organized as the conclusive event of the LeNS project, funded by EU under the Asia-Link program, that aims at the development and diffusion of design for sustainability in design institutions.
The scope of the conference is to make a significant contribution to catalyzing the learning and dissemination process of an emergent design knowledge-base, theory and practice, on design for sustainability, within the design community; a contribution to take up the challenge of Sustainability in Design, NOW!
The conference approach is to look at various stakeholders in this arena - designers, design educators and design researchers - as a unique and multipolar learning community. This is a design community adopting a new ethos, promoting all possible synergies and processes of learning-by-sharing, enabling effective knowledge base and know-how sharing, osmosis and cross-fertilization in an open and copy left ethos.
In this context, the conference aims at offering an understanding of the worldwide challenges and the opportunities so that designer-participants can be more active and effective in the transition towards a sustainable society. The conference aims to be both visionary and pragmatic, and to stimulate new ways of thinking.
Furthermore, the conference will give the opportunities for the design-learning community to update the agenda for design for sustainability in the XXI century.
A Bangalore 2010 Declaration on Sustainability in Design will be discussed, agreed upon and signed.
Participants are invited to submit papers in the areas related to the conference sub-themes outlined below. The conference is structured around three main themes that include:
1. Design Research for Sustainability (DRfS)
2. Design Education for Sustainability (DEfS)
3. Design Practice for Sustainability (DPfS)
Note : To submit your paper please go to the "Registration - Author" link on the left navigation menu to register and follow the instructions sent to your email id immediately after registration.
1. The Design Research for Sustainability (DRfS) section will address the following sub-themes:
* New frontiers of Design Research for Sustainability worldwide
* Applied research and consultancies on Design for Sustainability
* Effective networking and learning-by-sharing processes between design researchers and/or design research institutions.
2. The Design Education for Sustainability (DEfS) section will address the following sub-themes:
* Strategies, projects and experiences in consolidated DfS education activities
* Strategies, projects and experiences in experimental DfS education activities
* Strategies, projects and experiences in continuing education
* Effective networking and learning-by-sharing processes between design teachers and/or Design Education Institutions .
3. The Design Practice for Sustainability (DPfS) section will address the following sub-themes:
* Best practices of product, service and system design for sustainability
* Best practices of methods and tools used by designers, companies and other organizations
* Effective networking and learning-by-sharing processes between designers associations and designers.
Deadline for Abstracts : 31 March 2010
Notification Of Acceptance : 01 May 2010
Full Paper Submission : 30 June 2010
Notification Of Paper To Be Presented : 31 July 2010
The LeNS Project
The LenS, Learning Network on Sustainability, is an Asian-European multi-polar network for curricula development on design for sustainability focused on Product-Service System innovations. It is a 3 years project (Dec/2007 - Dec/2010) funded by the European Commission (Asia Link Programme, EuropAid), involving 7 design schools in Europe and Asia. The project scope is to promote a new generation of Asian and European designers capable of designing for sustainability Product-Service System innovation, through a new generation of design educators. The main output is the so called Open Learning E-Package (OLEP) on DfS. It is a web platform allowing interested teachers to download open source and copyleft learning resources (slideshows, texts, audio-videos, etc.) that could be modified/remixed and reused, i.e. adapted according to each teacher's specific didactic needs, institutional requirements and local context peculiarities. The same lens web platform is downloadable as open source and copyleft. It is thus a "regenerative" platform; namely any educational institution, teacher, sustainability-focused network, can generate a new LeNS-based web-platform; any new generated web platform upload learning resources independently, and all LeNS-based web-platforms are interlinked. A LeNS Africa has been launched the 7th of September 2009, in Cape Town, South Africa; and LeNS South America has been launched the 6th of November 2009, Sao Paolo, Brasil.