Sint-Lucas School of Architecture
Brussels - Belgium
Faculty of Architecture KU Leuven
KNOWING (by) DESIGNING Research in creative disciplines reaches far beyond the conventional understanding of what knowledge is and what it is meant for. Practicing arts, design, music or architecture, when conducted reflectively, naturally involves types of knowing that, unlike in exact sciences, are based on individual, subjective interpretation of the context within which the designer/artist works. As such, the critical reflection of the artist on his/her own practice makes it more coherent, better, influential, unique. At the same time worthwhile chef-d'oeuvres, works of art, designs essentially extend and enrich our understanding of the world.
The conference "Knowing (by) Designing" strives to explore the developments in research evolved around creative practices – specifically focusing on architecture, design, arts and music. It is the third conference in the cycle starting with "The Unthinkable Doctorate" in 2005 and successfully followed by the "Communicating (by) Design" in 2009 at the Sint-Lucas School of Architecture in Brussels. The 2013 event will aim to investigate ways in which creative processes and activities develop knowing, including:
- the aspects of improving the artist’s "own" awareness of his/her own practice and the knowledge it incorporates;
- the aspects of insight, understanding and knowing in the work;
- the discussion of the processes of making the work/design/music in the context of own and other practices;
- the discovery/definition of values in the process of designing/making/doing/performing;
- the implications of uncovering the aspects considered as tacit;
- the exploration of the tension between the understanding and emotional experience of the work of art or design;
- forms and frames relevant to represent knowledge based on creative practice;
- the investigation of the relation between the creative work and its description – interpretation – explanation;
- inwards and outwards communication in designing/music/arts.
The conference organizers welcome all relevant contributions, from academia as well as from practice, that address the mentioned topics, from the fields of architecture, design, arts and music.
The conference connects to the SHARE Conference on May 24-25, 2013.
Proceedings of the conference will be published as a book, the template for the publication will soon be available. Conference
Claus Peder Pedersen
Carl Van Eyndhoven
Conference dates: May 22-23, 2013
Submission of abstract for peer review: November 15, 2012
Extended deadline of abstract for peer review: November 30, 2012
Notification of acceptance: January 7, 2013
Submission of full text for publication: February 28, 2013
Registration: from January 7, 2013 onwards